Translate

Monday, August 5, 2013

Mountain Madness and Goodbye to the South


Today's writer:  Klemm
Guess who's back...back again?  Alright so after the Milford Sound we headed back to the east side of the south island to Dunedin.  It was raining which seems to be a common theme around here these days, so we didn't stick around too long.  We checked out the world's steepest street (Baldwin St.) where I found this unfortunate girl that didn't know how to work an umbrella...

Next, we headed over to Mt. Cook which is the highest mountain in New Zealand.  This place was aaaamazing and definitely one of the top things for us in NZ.  We did a couple hikes, almost turned into icicles overnight, and then did a couple more hikes (yes, again)...definitely worth it...


From Mt. Cook we worked our way up the east coast through Kaikoura and then back over to the north west to check out the Abel Tasman Track.  We had worked it out that we would get there on Thursday since that was the ONLY sunny day over the 5 day forecast.  Soooo which day do you think I decided to get sick? :)  To this day, I'm not really sure how Shan put up with me on this hike...from being my walking motivator, bathroom finder, and my lookout for hikers as I puked twice, she was a true champ on this 8 hour hike of misery...yes, you read correctly, 8 hours.  I haven't been more happy to see our van than I did that day when this hike was over.  But we made it, and it was really pretty.  I was not.


Nelson was our next stop for a couple days where we checked out some markets and finally had a night out on the town.  For those considering living in a van, which I'm sure is most of you, note that finding free overnight parking in the city where there is little risk of getting tickets is sometimes hard to find....buuut when a night out calls, we had to answer :)

Next up was the Queen Charlotte Track and the Marlborough Sounds.  We hadn't done much running lately and since according to the psycho I travel with "hiking doesn't count as working out" (says who other than her??  NO ONE!) she thought it would be a good idea to start running our hikes instead of walking.  I was as excited as many of you probably are just thinking about it.  In the end it did feel pretty good (I hate admitting when she's right) and believe it or not, the good views come to you faster!


From here we headed to Picton where Zed would catch the ferry with us to the north island.  Goodbye South Island...we will miss you :(

No comments:

Post a Comment