Translate

Monday, August 5, 2013

Cambodia


Today's writer: Shaniqua
So let me just say I'm super pumped to write about Cambodia because this was definitely my favorite country by far.  The people here are sooooo amazing it's not even funny.  Needless to say, I think I almost had a breakdown when we had to leave but I guess that's not too surprising?  Anways, we took a bus from Vietnam into Phnom Penh, Cambodia which only took about 6 hours.  The border crossing was super easy and it's crazy how much of a difference there is literally once you cross a border into a different country.  Here's us crossing the border. exciting pic hey

We were in Phnom Penh for two nights, and on r first day there we went to the Tuol Sleng Museum (S21 prison) and the "killing fields."  Honestly, this shiiiiiiiit is seriously crazy, ridiculous, and extremely hard to see and hear about ...but I'm so glad we did it.  If I was your history professor, I would take everyone to both of these places because I really believe it can change someone's outlook on life.  But I'm not your teacher, so look it up.  Here's a pic of the prison and also the memorial at the killing fields with actual skulls from the victims.


They also had a lot of crazy  local markets and Klemm loved all the fresh meat that was getting chopped up right in front of us.  She especially loved the fish that were still alive....and then dead the next second.  And yes, I became vegetarain in Asia.  If I would have eaten any of that meat, I would probably be dead right now.  So you're all welcome.

After P.Penh, we headed to Siem Reap on pretty much r last bus ride in Asia.  Even though I'm not a huge fan of buses (ok im actually not a fan at all, especially when they dont have bathrooms) I was actually a lil sad. weird i know. But newayz. 
We had about 7 nights in Siem Reap which was amazing so we could actually chill out a bit.  It's pretty touristy here because of Angkor Wat, but still an awesome place.  When Andrea was still with us, we went to Angkor Wat for sunset one night and the next day did sunrise and a bunch of the temples.  The sunrise was seriously sick as hek and the temples were crazy awesome.  But one day at the temples I think was plenty for us.

A couple of days later, our 1 and only visitor had to leave us.  But, the good news is, she didn't go home empty handed!  This is Andrea leaving us and carrying some of our extra stuff home...doesn't she look excited?

We also ended up doing the Angkor Wat 1/2 marathon which wuz prolly the best thing ever.  We actually got to run through the temples, the weather was perfect, and the cambodians were amazing.  All the little kids were lined up the whole way, slapping us five and super excited to see us.  They were also all lined up to pick-up and collect all the water bottles along the way.  I'm pretty sure they made bank this day.  But honestly, best 1/2 marathon ever award. rar


After the race, we decided we needed to celebrate. And soooo we did.  We found the best mexican restaurant ever with $1.50 margaritas that pretttty much rocked r world.  The waiters thought it was hilarious we were there for so long and I think they could tell r personalities were changing?  But I'm pretty sure this celebration was definitely needed for both of us  :)
The rest of our time in Siem Reap we pretty much just chilled out, went to the markets,  had a $1 massage, and also ended up getting a fish massage.  It was pretttty weird and it actually tickled  A LOT.   Also got to play basketball/soccer with some kids in the middle of an alley.  Pretty sure they whooped us.

A lot of the street sellers in Cambodia were mostly little kids...this kid was just handing out flyers but all he really wanted was water.  We gave him all r water, he came back about 15 minutes later for more water, and then came back again to get his friend water.  Cutest kid of my life.

Cambodia was Amazing.  The people were Awesome.  And yes, I may or may not have had a mini breakdown while leaving the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment